self-portrait with a Holga

self-portrait with a Holga

Thursday, November 12, 2009

This drive was the first real memory I ever had. Riding in the car with my Grama Grace. We would drive to Cascade often and I use to think it was fun. I would hold my breath till we got to the top of the hill. I was sure something fun was going to happen. I don't remember if anything fun ever did actually happen but I remember always loving the ride. Grace passed away in 1998 and I still feel the most joy when I return home. This ride has become a part of who I am.

I think living with my grand parents in Ulm had to be special. It is the earliest times I can remember. Eating fresh peas in the garden while my grampa Kenny worked and encouraged me to stay even though I was making his work harder. Taking care of the cats in the Cat Barn, at least 15 cats mostly white all named Tom. With variations of the name like Little Tom, Old Tom, Tom1, Tom2 and Tom3. There was a one cat a very large white cat with half an ear missing and evil look in his eye, his name was Tom. It is no wonder I was so excited to got to Cascade.

The pink house on the side of the highway was my kingdom. I had a hedge that seperated us from the neighbors which was great for secret spy sessions. Once a week my uncle bud would come out and shoe the horses. I would watch for as long as my attention spam would allow and them move on to the next task. That task usually ment chasing Blue the dog, a husky who did not like people much and even took my eyelid off once when I jumped on her. That sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment